Gold

Jan 6, 2008



Team Canada won GOLD!!!



After being lead 2-0 into the 3rd, team Sweden did what they did the last time they played Canada -- make a comeback. With only a few seconds left in the 3rd period, they scored and forced the game into over-time.
That was about the time when Alex swore she was about to pass-out.
I was sitting on my couch, curled up in a ball, trying to mentally prepare myself for what was ahead. But as much as I tried to calm myself down, I knew it would never be enough. I'd be devastated if they'd lose. I'd grown attached to the group of guys (as I had last year...) What? I have an addictive personnality :)
Once into over-time, with everyone in the room litterally at the edge of their seats, we all held our breath and hoped that someone would just SCORE. (Preferably Canada, of course.) 3:36 into OT, a mini-scramble errupted around Enroth's crease and team Canada managed to squeeze the puck between the goalie's pads...and across the goal line.
Who...the heck...
HALISCHUK!!!!!!!!!! He did it~~ :')
The whole room was jumping up and down, and I flopped, exhausted, in front of the tele. Finally. We could breathe again.

Things were awesome until I saw this:

:( Enroth...he was just laying there...looking simply devastated... The ref had to come over and see if he was okay... And then they showed his face. And I felt like crying. There were tears pouring out of his eyes...and and... I can't even explain how sad it was. I felt sooo bad for him.
My mom looked at me and knew, "Ohhh, Alex! You must be so sad! That's exactly what you don't like to see..."
Yes. My heart is weak when it comes to goalies. So seeing them devastated to the point of tears is like a cruel sort of torture. I sat there for a moment, thinking of how horrible the poor guy must feel, and tried not to look at his face. It didn't help that the camera dude seemed to enjoy mega-zooming into Enroth as he looked on at the celebrating team Canada with tears in his eyes. WHAT KIND OF CAMERA MAN ARE YOU?? I'm trying to celebrate here!! Watching team Sweden cry isn't exactly heart-warming. It's depressing as hell.

But heyyy. Team Canada won! Happy thoughts!!

"What pain? It is hard to feel the pain when you have a gold medal around your neck."
-Team Canada forward Stefan Legein on his right shoulder seperation


p.s.
Ovechkin finally scored his first goal in Montreal. Woohooo. Coulda kept it at ONE goal, but noooo. He had to score two.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Smirking Cat said...

I always feel sorry for the goalie, of either team, when the puck goes in. I figure they must feel like crap each time someone scores on them. The Lightning have had goalies pulled and replaced during games, and even though I'm mad they were playing so bad, I still feel sorry for them. I have a soft spot for goalies too!

Sunday, January 06, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home